Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Weird Song Intros?

  1. #31
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My hosting service is giving my webmaster the runaround with getting the new forums working with MySQL. It's been on "any day" status for weeks now. There's not much I can do, but I do suspect it coming soon.

  2. #32
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Thanks guys, keep them coming.

    Some of the submission ideas here are new to me, and I'll check them out.

    Benrand - Yes, Jesus Lizard is cool, I've been to their shows too.
    Unfortunately, no one knows who they are if I write about them.

    Anyone have any newer tunes that have intros that mess your counting up? Rock, Punk, Metal - or any at all? Thanks!

    Brad

  3. #33
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Hey all, thanks again. I see lots of forgotten tunes and creative ideas. Keep them coming.

    Just to narrow the focus and clarify it a bit, odd times aren't out, but since I already have a couple of odd time tunes, at this point I prefer 4/4 stuff simply because it's really about how your perception of the beat is deceived - not just a weird beat in an odd time that's hard to play. It has to be at the the start of the song, and it doesn't matter which instrument causes the misperception.

    It can be drum intro's like Beck's Led Boots, Zep's R&R & the Crunge, or the Stones Start Me Up (already did them), to songs where the guitar or other instruments deceive you into thinking one is someplace other than where it is. Popular songs are less likely to be deleted from the article in editing, so I'm favoring those. For that reason, I'm not focusing on Prog Rock, or Jazz stuff since lots of that material is designed to trip you up. The Eagles Take it Easy is another tune on my list because it sounds easy until you try to play it - then instant trainwreck.

    I already have lots of Van Halen etc., and stuff from the 80's and earlier, so at this point I'd love some more recent stuff. I have more than enough for the article already, but I didn't want to finalize it until I got some input from you guys. You guys always know so much and have a depth of knowledge and influences that always keeps me informed. Thanks again!

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Shawn40's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2004
    Posts
    628
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What about Patitucci's "Spaceship" with Vincente !!!

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Jean-Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ozzy Osbourne - No more tears, funny bass intro, after the second time you know but I was suprised when I wanted to hit the one.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Toss Panos' intro to Fear Of Poverty (Blue Horn CD, released in 2000) is a little whack, a slowed-down tribute to Bonzo's Rock and Roll.

    About those Stones songs:

    Start Me Up was done about 17 times before the Stones abandoned it. The first two takes were rock, the last 15 (or so) were reggae. The famous intro (take 2) was a mistake, which isn't the only mistake in the song: there's guitar and back-up vocal flubs too. Why does it sound so cool? Jagger discovered take 2 among a mile of tape, thought it was a gem, re-did the vocals and mixed the tune without the Stones' knowledge. Keef said the band was delighted at what he'd done. It was by accident, not by design.

    Honky Tonk Women is a first take with Jimmy Miller playing cowbell and Watts on drums, which may be why it sounds the way it does. They were going to use it as a guide track but could never improve on it. Miller actually played drums on the master tracks of You Can't Always Get What You Want, Shine A Light, and Happy.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member Timbata's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2004
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How about Zeppelin's "Black Dog".

  8. #38
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used to play Black Dog in a band I was in with a guitarist we called Semi Page. Eye contact was sufficient for the intro, pauses and breaks, without the stick click. A very arbitrary song with very orchestrated parts.

    There's a bootleg of Zeppelin rehearsing Black Dog for LZ4 where Bonham substituted a five stroke roll for the first of the seven drum notes that start the beat before minimizing that to a single hit. It worked but sounded cluttered and I'm sure that's why he changed it.

  9. #39
    Inactive Member benrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    1,491
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Long Run by the Eagles has a little odd drum into. Life's been good from Joe Walsh too.

    Too bad I don't listen to the radio anymore. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  10. #40
    Inactive Member SBdrumz's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2004
    Posts
    55
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by JPtheDrummer:
    Ozzy Osbourne - No more tears, funny bass intro, after the second time you know but I was suprised when I wanted to hit the one.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good call, JP.....the bass starts on the +a of 4 on that one, right? And he's changing his pattern every bar or so...cool stuff!

    -sb

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •